Sunday, November 21, 2010

Nathan's Baptism




One week ago, Nathan was baptized. We had a celebration at our house afterwards, with catered Chinese food in Nathan's honor. It was a very good day.

Slowly, things are becoming a little easier as we all continue to mesh as a family of four. It has been challenging, because in a lot of ways Nathan is just as needy as a toddler. He gets very jealous when I spend time with Avery. I need to stop and think that he has been through so much in these six months, and that it will take more time and energy and effort to guide him. And, God willing, I've got the time.

I keep having flash forwards in time, when my kids are older, and then I find I will take moments to stop doing the dishes (and countless endless other tasks) and sit with them. Living in the moment. I will never get this time back when they are small. And although there are bumps in the road, our lives aren't meant to be perfect. And as much as I want things to be well with us, I've found that the hardest times in my life have given me determination and wisdom. So, as Thanksgiving approaches, I am very thankful for my family. And God's beautiful plan. Bumps and all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is Andrea, Eric's former co-woeker at ggp. I want to say congrats to you both on your new addition to the family. Children are such a blessing. I also want to say your sentimental feelings are completely understandable. I highly suggest that you continue to spend as much time as possible with your babies. Since being laid off I've become a housewife and some days I'm filled with so much regret at the time I wasn't able to spend with kids because I was working. Although I tried to make as many track meets, band performances and basketball games as possible, I still feel a sense of dread as if it wasn't enough. Since my oldest daughter was off for summer I found myself calling her to come over to just sit in yard with me or for lunch. I'd then grill more than enough food so I could tell the other kids to come over after work and eat. We've now made Sunday our day to gather and have dinner together. When the kids become teenagers you'll think you can't wait for them to go away to college, get married or just leave, I know we used to. But now when everyone comes over the sound of everyone talking at the same time, grandkids bumping all over the house, our youngest daughter and son arguing will be music to your ears. My husband (Chuck) would never admit to missing the kids but the simple fact he's saying he's going to spend summer golfing with our son says it all. Our son rarely played golf with him so this was my husbands way of keeping their bond going. So yes continue to stop and sit with your children because soon you'll be left with memories of "I remember when". With God all things are possible, so congratulations to you and Eric. Regards, Franklin Family

    ReplyDelete